- 50 million Americans, or 20% of the U.S. population, have an autoimmune disease. Almost 75% are women.
- An estimated 4% of people worldwide have an autoimmune disease.
There are more than 100 identified autoimmune conditions that affect any system of the body.
The top 7 autoimmune disorders in terms of prevalence are:
- Type 1 Diabetes
- Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Multiple Sclerosis
In the U.S.:
- Autoimmunity is the second highest cause of chronic illness in the United States.
- As a whole, autoimmune diseases represent one of the top 10 leading causes of death in girls and women up to age 65.
- The direct annual cost of autoimmune disease treatment does not take into consideration the indirect cost of care and loss to society – under or unemployment, disability, loss of family income and the financial and emotional burden of caregiving.