Teresa’s Big Idea:
Teresa’s project is two-fold. Students will study the path of the Sun and the Moon in reference to our place on Earth over the course of the school year. Using telescopes the students will collect data and plot the path of the Sun and Moon. The students will look at cyclic patterns that include seasons and phases of the moon. During the project, students will predict sunrise and sunset, position of the Sun and Moon, and Eclipses based on the data collected. Students will learn how to at the structure and function of the Sun and connect it with light, energy, and how it affects matter. The culminating event being a STEAM Fair.
- Asking questions about how our world works and finding the answers;
- Investigating using mathematics and computational thinking while planning and carrying out investigations of the Sun;
- Analyzing and interpreting data collections;
- Constructing models and explanations about the cause and effect of the position of the Earth, Moon, and Sun;
- Predicting upcoming solar or lunar events based on patterns;
- Communicating and explaining seasons and how the Sun gives energy and drives systems on Earth;
- Planning and presenting their findings at a STEAM Fair for the entire school, community, and parents.
Teresa allowed her students to choose the the photo they think represents her best. Her pets include her calf “Houdini” and mountain cur dog “Banjo”!