Kandice’s Big Idea:
Students will work to refresh Brinkley Garden Cares – the school’s garden that has been neglected and gone to waste. Students will learn curriculum concepts, financial literacy, social learning skills and a new hobby. Some of the food grown will be shared with the community and some will be sold at the farmer’s market in order to supply the school with resources. The goal is to feed the school with the food grown while continuously bringing in revenue from sales to assist with resources for the school. The garden will most importantly serve as a teaching tool.
- Examining the soil and learning what constitutes good soil for growth;
- Learning about the formation of soil and layers of the Earth;
- Learning about erosion and weathering as it relates to gardening;
- Learning about asexual and sexual reproduction, and mitosis/meiosis;
- Developing financial literacy through the purchasing of materials using a budget and the sales and profit from selling;
- Learning about the careers of entrepreneurship through farming and agriculture.
Kandice has been teaching for seven years and also serves as a coach at her school!